Jay Pritzker Pavilion designed by Frank Gehry stands 120-feet high, with a billowing “headdress” of brushed stainless steel ribbons that frame the stage opening and connect to an overhead trellis of crisscrossing steel pipes. The stage area of the pavilion is clad in Douglas Fir and features a series of portable risers and a choral terrace that can accommodate a full-size orchestra and a choir of up to 120 members respectively. Large glass doors that can enclose the stage area when shut, allow the pavilion to be used during winter months for public functions such as banquets, receptions, and lectures. Another feature of the pavilion is a system of decorative colored light washes that when projected onto the proscenium, transforms the face of the pavilion.
The trellis supports the sound system, which spans the 4,000 fixed seats and the 95,000 square-foot Great Lawn, which accommodates an additional 7,000 people. This state-of-the-art sound system, the first of its kind in the world was designed to mimic the acoustics of an indoor concert hall by distributing enhanced sound equally over both the fixed seats and the lawn creating the effect of reverberation.
Frank Gehry born February 28, 1929 in Toronto, Canada. He is an award-winning architect based out of Los Angeles, California. Gehry has spread his signature Deconstructivist style in all parts of the globe.
Visit Chicago Public Library for more archival photos of Jay Pritzker Pavilion.